ad5

Friday 24 January 2014

CAR's first female president, Samba-Panza sworn in


Former Mayor of Bangui, Samba-Panza who was chosen to lead the Central African Republic (CAR) by a national transitional council on Monday has now been sworn in.

Samba-Panza, 59, has a huge challenge ahead as she seeks to re-establish stability in the country, including disarming the militias, establishing a new national army and ending outbreaks of sectarian violence. The recent unrest has also brought the country's food production to a halt according to FRANCE 24


The new president after taking the oath of office on Thursday said her priorities are restoring security and "putting people to work" as quickly as possible.

"I have measured the expectations the people have of me," she told members of the press on Tuesday. "I tell myself that I can absolutely not disappoint these expectations."

Samba-Panza pledged to "safeguard the peace, strengthen national unity, ensure the wellbeing of the Central African people, and conscientiously fulfil my work without any ethnic, regional or religious considerations".

No comments: